Originally called the Berkshire Garden Center, the Garden was established in 1934 by the Lenox Garden Club on a parcel of land donated by Bernhard and Irene Hoffman. A horticulturist, Kenneth Simpson of Lenox, was hired and a noteworthy collection of prized daylilies was donated by the New York Botanical Garden. Numerous gifts by other botanical gardens followed and in short order the Garden was endorsed by garden clubs all over the county.
In 1936 the Garden was granted a non-profit corporation charter and the Hoffmans donated the balance of our fifteen acres and the 1790 farmhouse which is known as the Center House today. The Herb Garden, built in 1937 on a terraced rocky slope designed by landscape architect Edward F. Belcher, was planted with varieties of hardy and tender herbs displayed according to use, plant family, and ornamental value.
During the Second World War, a Victory Garden was established to educate families in how to supply vegetables and fruits for the table during this period of rations. Canning, freezing and winter storage classes were also offered. In 1946, the Garden received a National Victory Garden Institute Award in recognition of its “contribution to the national war effort.”
The late 1930s and 1940s were an active and productive time for the BBG. New gardens were designed, planted and maintained and educational programs continued to be developed. This period included the creation of a library, an endowment fund as well as the newsletter, Cuttings, published six times a year.
The Garden received international attention by participating in the New York World’s Fair in 1939 where it held an exhibition of Kenneth Simpson’s collection of native trees and an exhibition of photographs of trees by the well-known photographer, Edwin Lincoln.
Prestigious groups such as the Garden Club Federation of Massachusetts and the Garden Club of America have made numerous awards to the Garden since its inception, including the Gold Medal Award from the Garden Club of New Jersey for the BBG’s “outstanding influence in horticulture in the community.”
For more than 80 years, the Berkshire Botanical Garden has continued to develop and prosper because of the generosity of individuals and institutions that share in our belief that a Botanical Garden is not only a place of serenity and beauty, but an essential component of a healthy community.